Summer Safety Tips for Seniors
Don’t let the sun and heat take you by surprise the next time you enjoy this lovely summertime weather. Check out these tips to make the most of every sunny day:
- Choose the right time of day. The hottest point of every day is typically between noon and 3pm. Avoid strenuous outdoor activity during the day’s peak heat hours.
- Find some shade. If you are going to be outside for a long period of time, spend as much of it in the shade as you can to avoid sunburns and overheating.
- Stay hydrated. Bring a water bottle or two with you to stay cool and hydrated.
- Check your medications before leaving the house. Losing track of time is easy to do when enjoying the great outdoors. Bring a travel pill box with your day’s medication in case you stay out a little longer than you planned.
- Don’t skimp on sunscreen. Sunscreen does not last all day long. Check the bottle to see how often you should reapply for the best protection.
- Bring a buddy (and your phone). Everything’s better with a buddy. And, if you need help while you are out and about, someone will be there for you.