Find the Right Fit
People with diabetes can develop many different foot problems. Even ordinary problems can get worse and lead to serious complications. The American Diabetes Association offers the following tips on keeping your feet healthy:
- Take care of your diabetes. Work with your healthcare team to keep your blood glucose in your target range.
- Check your feet every day. Look at your bare feet for red spots, cuts, swelling, and blisters. If you cannot see the bottoms of your feet, use a mirror or ask someone for help.
- Be more active. Plan your physical activity program with your healthcare team.
- Talk with your doctor. Ask your doctor about Medicare coverage for special shoes.
- Wear shoes and socks at all times. Never walk barefoot. Wear comfortable shoes that fit well and protect your feet. Check inside your shoes before wearing them. Make sure the lining is smooth and there are no objects inside.
- Keep the blood flowing to your feet. Put your feet up when sitting. Wiggle your toes and move your ankles up and down for five minutes, two or three times a day. Don't cross your legs for long periods of time, and don't smoke.
Speak with your Sterling Pharmacy team today to see how we can help. We can fit you with the proper shoes and socks and help find the foot care products you need to keep your feet healthy.